Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Top 10

As my time overseas draws to a close, I have been reflecting on all the things I learned over the two years.  I have learned so much about life, service, faith, and the Father.  I have grown and changed in ways I couldn't have imagined possible when I first moved.   Recently as I was journaling and reflecting on my time, I made a list of all the things I learned over the course of my term.  Here is my Top 10 List. 
 

Top 10 Lessons I Learned Overseas
 
10. People are people.  I don't want to discount the impact that different worldviews and cultures play when trying to develop relationships with people, but I was surprised to see how much I had in common with people.

9.  Wearing drawstring pants that are 4 times the size of my actual body practically everyday for 2 years has serious repercussions on one's waistline.  This is especially true for someone who loves to eat South Asian cuisine as much as I do. 

8.  I really can survive without beef and pork.

7.  I can have deep and meaningful relationships with people from a different culture.  I figured I would make some friends moving here, but I was not prepared for the depth of connection that I have with some of my local friends.

6.  When moving to a new country, it is important to approach every situation as a learner. 

5.  Building off of #6 - Pride is the enemy.  I learned that I couldn't let my pride get in the way.   When I first moved here, I knew very little about the culture and how to live and work here  Now two years later, it still feels like there is an ocean of things I am clueless about.  I learned that I had to be willing to put myself out there and look like an idiot.  I couldn't avoid new things just because I might be wrong.  This is especially true with language learning.  I couldn't let people laughing at my language get me down.  This was a really hard lesson to learn, and I still struggle to remember it everyday.    

4.  There is no substitute for learning language and culture.  As my knowledge of the culture and language increased, so did my love for this country and my love for the people.  My relationships and understanding in work deepened as I came to understand what people here value. 

3.  I can live anywhere (and do any number of things that are hard and uncomfortable) if I am called by the Father.

2.  My #1 priority/responsibility each and every day is to commune with the Father.  Nothing, not even doing good works in his name, is more important. 
"Abide in me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches.  Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." Jn 15:4-5

1. HE IS FAITHFUL.  Always.  Completely. 
"If we are faithless, he remains faithful - for he cannot deny himself."
 2 Tim 2:13
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.