Celebrating Christmas overseas is always difficult because it means being away from dear family and friends at a time of year when I most want to be with my loved ones. I miss heckling my mother about her snowmen decorations, making a truly inspirational greeting card with Annie, playing hide the soap with cousins at my Grandma's house, attending the Christmas Eve service at Frazier, the inevitable toothbrush that is in my stocking every Christmas morning, watching It's A Wonderful Life with my family and hearing my brother's George Bailey impersonation. Being away at Christmas also means not getting to indulge in some of my favorite holiday treats like sausage balls, cheese balls, and Shelly Parks' sugar cookies. And if you have ever eaten one of Shelly's sugar cookies, then you feel my loss. However this Christmas, my second consecutive one overseas, I was struck by how familiar the season felt, even without the aforementioned traditions and treats. Take a look at some of my Christmas photos and see if you don't see the similarities.
Christmas programs are not just an American tradition. This place knows how to put on a function. I enjoyed attending several and
even helped out with a few.
While my cookies are not quite as yummy as Shelly's, I still had a good time making several batches and decorating them with the most awesome sprinkle dispenser courtesy of Annie and Jeana. All of my friends thought they were good too and enjoyed helping frost.
Christmas cards sent all the way from home to wish me Merry Christmas
made the season special. I stopped counting after 30!
Thanks to everyone who sent a holiday greeting my way.
Christmas Eve was a relaxed evening with friends. I am so grateful for brother and sisters in Chr!st who share this life with me. These people are a constant joy and are always making me laugh by saying things like - white donuts of fury, pigs eating drunken sailors, and Anna, there is still hope for you (referring to my current state of singleness.) Dinner was chilli, rotel, veggies with ranch, Christmas cookies, and pretzels dipped in almond bark.
The Christmas Sweater!!!! That's right people.
They are cool on every continent.
Here comes Santa Claus. Here comes Santa Claus. And yes, Santa wears a scary mask and stands in front of a local grocer and dances to loud music. But hey, it's still Santa.
Christmas Day Festivities:
Stocking surprises, yummy food, weird gifts (thank you Ryan for the bride and groom cake topper), awesome gifts (thank you Yankee swap for the elephant coat rack), special treats (Christmas miracle!!! Dr. Pepper showed up in town!) and great people.
The Nativity.
I am so thankful that Chr!st's birth can be celebrated in all places because he was born for all people. Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.