Tuesday, December 18, 2012

29 complete. 30 start!!!!!!

Here is the troubling thing about birthdays in this culture.  When people here say how old they are, they can say it in one of two ways.  One can say how many years have been completed OR what year of life they are starting.  To avoid the confusion about which one is meant, most people say both numbers.  So for example, this year I was forced to tell everyone -  29 complete, 30 start.  What?!!! It's like somehow I just lost a year and am already in my thirties.  A lot of my local friends think it is hilarious that I have started on my 30th year.  I'm not sure why, but it probably has something to do with the fact that I haven't settled down yet.  Despite the fact that I got prematurely kicked into the next decade just by virtue of living in this country, I had a great birthday.  There were several different celebrations, lots of cards and packages from home, and great food.

Some people on my team got me flowers for the big day.  Friends from home sent me this special birthday box filled with balloons.  In each balloon was a special birthday surprise. 
I loved it!


My friend Z made me a big dinner with all my favorites - cauliflower, raajma, and chicken.
 I brought cupcakes.  Her kids loved them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.