Saturday, September 22, 2012

Bright Lights, Big City (part 1)

This is the first post in a three part series on the westernization of my city.  The theme you will see recurring throughout the series is how each of these 20th century items suddenly made an appearance without any warning.  I was just going along one day, and then BAM! out of nowhere, these items from my past life just appeared.  The series kicks off with the tortilla chip.  (In preparation for this post, I did spend a little time on Wikipedia researching the tortilla chip to try and buff up on my tortilla chip knowledge, but unfortunately the exact year of the emergence of the tortilla chip could not be pinpointed.  At least on Wikipedia anyway. But no matter.)  After months of salivating over the dream of a bottomless bowl of chips and salsa, the dream is a reality.  Normally, I have to cart in tortilla chips from the capital city, but no more.  They are here, and they are legit.  I was just chilling it in my normal "grocery store" (Be advised - I use that term lightly.  Picture something smaller than Quik Trip and without the fresh donuts.), when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the bag.  I wasn't given any warning.  There was no formal announcement sent out letting all the foreigners know it was coming.  Of course, I immediately bought a bag.  And after tearing my way through a good portion, I had to go lay down and take a nap.  The shock was really too much.  Now if I can only get my grocer to stock Velveeta...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.