For Christmas Sister bought me a facial cleansing brush system. I had been telling her how dull and dry my skin had become since moving back to South Asia, and Sister, being the generous, thoughtful person that we all know her to be, bought me one for Christmas. (Now my guess is that you men will have no idea what this contraption is, but basically it is an oscillating brush that helps to remove dead skin from the face.) I have already started to use it as part of my nightly grooming session. While others might not be able to notice, I can already see tiny differences. Today I was staring at the brush sitting on my shelf, and the thought occurred to me that I needed to get some slough not just off my face but off of my spirit as well. Slowly, slowly over the last 6 months I have let the slough build up on my spirit to the point where I have become spiritually dull. Dull to Father's voice. Dull to the things of the Word. Dull to the sin in my life. I am not sure exactly how it happened, but it probably involved a mixture of apathy, weariness, and misguided focus. Toss in a dose of busy and an alarming shortage of deliberate communion with the Creator, and there you have it. So armed with the realization that I needed the HS to slough away some deadness in my life, I turned anew to the Word and worship today. And you know what? He did it. Some spiritual exfoliation took place if you will. As I sat still before Him, He gave me this picture of the dead skin being sloughed away from my heart as HS worked through living Word. He sloughed through some dead spots. And while it might not be super obvious to anyone else at this point, I can tell the difference. There is more that needs to be done. It's the same as with this facial brush. A one time use will not yield lasting change. It is intended for daily use.
I am thankful for HS who works in my life to remove what is deadened, for a Father who is faithful and patient, and for the Son who makes it possible for me to come. Today, if you are like me and in need of a good deep cleansing, don't put it off. Turn to the One who is able to gently remove the impurities and dullness in your life and bring renewal.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.