Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Miss List

These days I've been fielding a lot of questions about what I will miss from life overseas when I return to the States.  Being the list maker and super organized person that everyone knows me to be (no comments), I have made a list of what I will miss the most when I leave next week. 

The People
 I will miss my friend Z dearly.  We formed a fast friendship that has only deepened with time.  Here we are on one of our city adventures.
This group keeps me on my toes.
                                   
My friend RJ is a constant source of joy and encouragement. I will visiting and sharing life with her. This is a picture from her birthday.
I will miss telling stories to groups of women.
The Village
I will miss sitting outside at the village visiting with my friends and their families.



 
I will miss the beautiful countryside.
 
The Food
My love for street food has already been well established.

The mango shake.
Even though there are only 2 main kinds of meat here, mutton and chicken, my city can cook 'em up with some serious skill.  I will definitely miss tandoori chicken
and mutton seekh kabobs. 
Samosas, spinach pecora, and chutney.  Enough said.
I will miss the convenience and freshness of local fruit and vegetable vendors. 
Hanging Out With Friends

When people ask what we do for fun in our city the answer usually centers around hanging out, eating good food, drinking coffee, and laughing as much as possible.



I will especially miss my friend in the cap.  He helped pick me up from the airport my first day in the city, and he hasn't stopped helping me.  He gives me a daily dose of sarcasm.
 
The City
I think my city looks especially beautiful when the picture is taken from above and you can't see all the trash.

 
I'm going to miss all the awesome markets and shopping in the city. 

South Asian Specials
The awesome things which are commonplace here that I will miss experiencing on a regular basis.


 
I love living in a place where it is normal to see elephants on the street.
The monkeys are cute, but they will eat your face off.

I probably won't miss cows being free to wander all over, but it will be strange living somewhere that isn't normal.
I will miss public transportation and how incredibly easy it is to
get around without a car.
I will miss cute, mischievous kids who call me Didi (big sister) and are constantly
asking for toffee (any type of candy).

I will NOT miss the trash that is everywhere, but I will miss coming across crazy sights that make me shake my head in disbelief.  Let me break down the picture.  There is garbage everywhere, most of it not in one of the town's few dumpsters, cows feasting on the garbage, dogs inside the dumpster having a little party inside the dumpster.   All the animals seem oblivious to the fire that is burning in the middle of it all.  This is definitely a South Asian Special.

I will miss driving and parking being a team sport.  There is always someone willing to help drivers get in and out of tight spots.

I will miss wandering the side streets of the city.

After I leave, there will be a hold in my life where the tandoor and
its wonderful creations once thrived.

The wedding season with all its fanfare will be missed.

I will miss seeing the tonga carrying its load all over the city.
I will miss all the rich and flavorful South Asian spices.

I have never personally gotten a roadside cut and shave,
 but I love that it's available for those who so desire.
 I will miss being able to buy fresh squeezed juice anytime I want.
I will miss the smell of fresh henna.
I love how easy it is to shop for clothes here.  I love that the whole outfit is sold together and then tailored to fit.
  

Confession.  I will not miss boxed milk.  What kind of milk doesn't need to be refrigerated?!!! However it will forever remind me of my time in South Asia.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.