Let me tell you a little bit about one of my favorite cultural phenomenas - The Auntie. In this country, any married woman over a certain age is called Auntie. These Aunties are not to be messed with. They mean business. As one auntie recently scolded, "I am like your mother. I am older than you. You should listen to me. You should do what I say." Aunties know your business, and they believe that is their given right. Aunties often move in packs. I have often found myself in the cross hairs of conflicting orders from dueling Aunties. Believe me when I say this is a scary situation. I was helping LHug host a function once when three different Aunties crammed in the kitchen with me to tell me how to serve the food. Of course they all had different opinions about how it should be done, and they just talked over each other until finally I just fled the kitchen in a panic. Aunties are not afraid to give their opinions. They give their opinions freely, unsolicited. From my appearance to my diet to my love life, nothing is off limits. As I have learned firsthand, Aunties seem to feel especially obligated to look out for young, unmarried, foreign girls who live alone. I thought I knew a little something about formidable aunts (i.e. The Johnson Aunts) before moving here, but that was nothing compared to these women!
 |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.