I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out a clever little title for this post, but really what it comes down to is that street food is the national food of my heart. (If that seems like a strange thing to say, I totally agree. I heard someone once describe the rabbit as the national animal of her heart, and so I have since adopted the phrase. But I digress.) For those of you who have never lived abroad or in a major metropolitan area and may be unaware of what I mean by street food, let me explain. Street food are those yummy treats sold by vendors on the street. Okay I guess the definition is pretty self-explanatory. The food is already prepped and is made fresh in minutes once you order. Kind of like a drive through except better. In my part of the world, street food includes such yummy things as momos, samosas, gol gappe, paranthas, meat on a stick, noodles, sooji ka halwa, jalebis, fresh popcorn, roasted peanuts, and fresh squeezed juice. Street food is one of the best things about spending a day shopping in the city. Take yesterday for example. It was cold. It was raining. I was walking all over the city with some friends. And I was hungry. Lucky for me, we happened past a fried momo stand. They were hot and yummy. Later after we walked some more, we ate some fresh gol-gappe. This treat is a little, thin, crisp-fried bread in the shape of a bowl that you fill with some water that has been sweetened and spiced with chilis and masala. Then we passed a fruit vendor pushing his cart, and so we bought some fresh oranges and ate them as we walked. Street food is great because you don't have to wait and walk in to a restaurant and order. Plus the diversity of foods can't be beat. So again I say, street food - basically the best thing ever. I am really going to miss street food when I move home. Unless of course Gower has developed a thriving street food business in the 2 years I've been gone. Let me know.
My idea for this blog is simple. Father has promised to meet all of our needs - day by day. As I live this life He has called me to, I am simply going to take one day at a time. I am trusting Him to give me each day my daily bread. I know He will show himself faithful.
Monday, February 4, 2013
I LOVE street food!
I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out a clever little title for this post, but really what it comes down to is that street food is the national food of my heart. (If that seems like a strange thing to say, I totally agree. I heard someone once describe the rabbit as the national animal of her heart, and so I have since adopted the phrase. But I digress.) For those of you who have never lived abroad or in a major metropolitan area and may be unaware of what I mean by street food, let me explain. Street food are those yummy treats sold by vendors on the street. Okay I guess the definition is pretty self-explanatory. The food is already prepped and is made fresh in minutes once you order. Kind of like a drive through except better. In my part of the world, street food includes such yummy things as momos, samosas, gol gappe, paranthas, meat on a stick, noodles, sooji ka halwa, jalebis, fresh popcorn, roasted peanuts, and fresh squeezed juice. Street food is one of the best things about spending a day shopping in the city. Take yesterday for example. It was cold. It was raining. I was walking all over the city with some friends. And I was hungry. Lucky for me, we happened past a fried momo stand. They were hot and yummy. Later after we walked some more, we ate some fresh gol-gappe. This treat is a little, thin, crisp-fried bread in the shape of a bowl that you fill with some water that has been sweetened and spiced with chilis and masala. Then we passed a fruit vendor pushing his cart, and so we bought some fresh oranges and ate them as we walked. Street food is great because you don't have to wait and walk in to a restaurant and order. Plus the diversity of foods can't be beat. So again I say, street food - basically the best thing ever. I am really going to miss street food when I move home. Unless of course Gower has developed a thriving street food business in the 2 years I've been gone. Let me know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.