Hospitality is a big deal in this culture. People are compelled by the culture and upbringing to be a good host/hostess. Unexpected and unannounced visits to family, friends, and even complete strangers are a part of daily life. In the beginning, my friends used to laugh at me for always calling when I wanted to come by for a visit. After no less than 50 times of being told "Of course. Why not?" in response to my inquiry of whether I could come by for a visit, I finally learned that it is really not necessary. When a guest comes to the house, the first and automatic response from the person of the home is "Come in. Sit down." Then after a few pleasantries are exchanged, the chai comes out. The chai (tea) that is served here is different than the version served at coffee shops in America. The chai here is made with black tea leaves, milk, sugar, water, and often includes spices like cardamon, ginger, clove, or cinnamon. The milk at the places I visit is usually fresh water buffalo milk. This means it is extra rich, fatty, and delicious. When visiting one of the harder things to figure out is the signs that people give off during the visit. For example, sometimes the host/hostess will ask you if you want to drink some chai. It is up to me to discern whether they genuinely are offering or if that is my cue to end the visit. Sometimes no matter what I say, whether I want it or not, I will be served chai, and there is no polite way to refuse. Don't get me wrong. I really like it. It is a warm sugary drink. What's not to like? Especially because it is often served with little biscuits (think vanilla wafer meets graham cracker). However I really have to be careful with how much I drink because I'm not joking when I say that the milk is fatty. Some of my favorite times here have been just sitting and sipping chai with old friends, new friends, and even strangers. There is something so simple and yet so deep about these visits. I will miss these times when I leave.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.