Thursday, August 9, 2012

1 week Post-Op

  Well today marks the 1 week anniversary of my laparoscopic cholecystectomy.  I celebrated by having a Reese's PB cup courtesy of Lober and Robyn.  Having surgery certainly wasn't on my list of Top Ten Things To Do Overseas, but my experience with the local health care wasn't as bad as many of you might have imagined.  The nurses took excellent care of me and even gave me a back rub.  Of course nursing care is an area in which I have pretty high standards, but I have nothing to complain about.  The doctors on the other hand left a little to be desired.  The presurgical and surgical care were great.  No problems.  But the postoperative care left a little to be desired, starting with the way the surgeon shoved my recently freed gallbladder in my face as I was just coming out of anesthesia.  Not exactly how I wanted to wake up.  The surgeons thought it hilarious that I had so many questions about my post-op care.  I tried to ask about lifting and activity restrictions, and the dude just laughed in my face.  He said I'd been reading too much on the Internet.  Then he said if I felt like running a 10k or climbing 1,000 stairs, that was no problem and I should go for it.  He had just one piece of advice, no jerking for 15 days.  I found it interesting that he thought I could run a 10k or climb all those stairs without jerking.
   Seriously though, I'm feeling great.  I'm so thankful that everything went smoothly.  Once again Father showed himself faithful.  As I was being wheeled into the operation theater, I admit I was a little nervous, but then HS reminded me of one of my favorite passages - Psalm 121.  I started to quote the verses and think on them.  And just as the anesthesia was being administered, I remember thinking that there was no need to fear.  While I was having surgery and would be totally unaware of what was happening, Father would be awake and watching over my life.  He does not need to slumber.  He does not sleep.  Right in that moment I felt Father say to me, 'Rest easy my child.  I will be awake.  I am your keeper. '  What sweet words.  I am so thankful for a G#d who is always watching over his children.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.