I'm going through a battle right now. This battle is one that has been raging for some time. A month ago I was so tired and bloodied that I almost quit completely. He is faithful though and for the last several weeks, He has daily been filling me with a quiet joy and peace. In my daily reading, He gave me a picture of how I had been fighting the battle and how He wanted that to change. As it turns out He doesn't want me to fight at all. Reading in 2 Chr 20, I was struck by how King Jehoshaphat responded when He faced what seemed like overwhelming odds. He set his face to seek the L with pr2yer and fasting. He acknowledged his own powerlessness and need for help and fixed his eyes on the L. And the L gave him a word. The L said 'Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed at this great horde, for the battle is not yours but G's...You will not need to fight in this battle. Stand firm, hold your position, and see the s@lv@tion of the L on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed. Tomorrow go out against them, and the L will be with you.' Judah did not have to fight. The Lord fought for them and the enemy was demolished. See somewhere in the middle of my battle I took my eyes off Him and started to fight in my own power. This is when the train went off the tracks. I forgot I was totally helpless. I thought I knew what to do and the best way to fight. I forgot that all I have to do is be silent (Ex 14:13-14). Twice in the passage the L says do not be afraid and do not be dismayed. Now certainly I have been afraid at times during this battle, but even more than afraid, I have dismayed. I looked up dismayed in a Thesaurus and found a host of other words to describe my general state at times these last 7 months - distressed, disappointed, distraught, troubled, sad, in a state, in tears. These are the feelings that come when I take my eyes off Him, forget I am weak and try to do things in my own strength. But praise to His glorious name - He doesn't want me to feel this way. He doesn't want me to fight. He will fight for me, and the victory is sure. This is good news.
So here it is, my new battle plan.
So here it is, my new battle plan.
- Seek the L (v. 3)
- Recognize my powerless state (v. 12)
- Acknowledge that I don't know what to do (v. 12)
- Fix my eyes on Him (v. 12)
- Be silent and still. Do not fight. (v. 17)
- Resist the feelings of fear and distress that encroach (v.15)
- Stand firm (v. 17)
- Watch Him fight for me (v.17)
- See the victory the L will work for me (v.17)
- Bless His holy name (v. 26)
- Rejoice with great joy (v. 27)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.