Thursday, January 12, 2012

Happy New Year (better late than never)

      So I totally meant to write this blog entry 12 days ago.  What can I say?  Moving to a different country hasn't helped my procrastination problem.  What's that saying - the more things change, the more they stay the same.  And so it is with life here.  The new year brought with it some changes. New teammates arrived. Old teammates left.  (It was sad to see my dear friends leave, but I'm so thankful for the time I worked alongside them.)  I'm  no longer considered a newbie.  It is cold here now.  Actually cold.  (The actual temperature isn't that cold compared to what I'm used to, but none of the houses are built with insulation.  The walls are all just concrete.)  I'm not doing full-time language learning. (Don't get me wrong.  I still need full-time help, but I want to be more involved in the work.)   I'm starting a wellness program for expecting mothers in a nearby village. I'm learning how to drive a manual SUV.  (This is actually not something that is entirely new this year but is something I'm resolved to mastering this year.)  I'm trying to drink less caffeine. 
        And of course, some things are the same.  I'm still not great at speaking or understanding the language.  I still go into culture shock every night when the mongrel dogs living in my neighborhood start up their nightly howling at the moon.  (I'm utterly convinced they all have rabies.)  My partner is still the same thoughtful, encouraging Db.  (Thank the L!)  People here continue to ask me when I'm going to get married.  (Side note:  The great thing about getting asked that question in this culture, where arranged marriages are the norm, is that I can totally blame my singleness on George.  Ha!)  The Chiefs still stink.  I still drink a pot of coffee and a diet coke practically every day.  (Remember that comment about drinking less caffeine?  I said I was trying - not succeeding.)  I still miss my family and friends back home (and those family members who live in the PRC).  I also still know this is where I'm supposed to be right now.  What else?....  Oh yeah, my G is still the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.