Monday, December 19, 2011

28....So Far, So Great!


I celebrated my first birthday overseas this week.  My dad and I were born only 1 day and several years apart so normally we celebrate together.  I wasn't sure what to expect as I had never been away from home for my birthday festivites before.  Plus, let's face it.  I'm not getting any younger.  So I was fully expecting this birthday to be kind of a downer.  But once again my friends and family all around the world came through in a big way.  I got to skype with my parents in the morning while it was still my dad's birthday in the States.  Then I enjoyed some yummy waffles made with love by my partner D.  After breakfast, I bit the bullet and went to language class.  I was dreading going to language on my birthday, but actually I ended up having a nice visit with my language tutor.  My language is not great yet, but it has at least progressed to the point where I can hold up my end of the conversation without mass confusion ensuing.  Then in the afternoon I went to a village to visit some friends and check on a newborn baby.  On the way home from the village, I received a very special phone call.  My nieces called to wish me a happy birthday.  Lydia sang Happy Birthday and Away In A Manger. In the evening several of my friends treated me to a night on the town.  We went to the nicest restaurant in our city and enjoyed some good food.  I had a great time just sitting, visiting, and laughing with friends.  The night ended with carrot cake and presents  Normally, I make this cake for my dad on his birthday, but this year D made it for me.  It was delicious.  All in all, a great day.   Thanks to everyone who sent presents, cards, emails, and greetings. 


We don't have any candles so we just stuck a match in there.

D and I at the restaurant.  D ordered the lamb for me because she knows
meat is one of the things I miss the most from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.