Thursday, November 10, 2011

Then pealed the bells...

    So I confess.  I listened to Christmas music today. I was a sad and needed a little cheer me up so I indulged despite my roommate's insistence that we can't have Christmas until we have Thanksgiving.  But I'm glad that I went for it because while I was listening to one of the more often looked over songs, Holy Spirit reminded me of something.  Recently I've been wrestling with living in comfort and affluence while children next door are living in filth and squalor.  I was becoming discouraged thinking the injustices too great.  I was becoming overwhelmed thinking the task too big.  But through an old Christmas carol, Holy Spirit reminded me of what I had overlooked in the equation.  The Father. The Lord works righteousness and justice for those who are oppressed (Ps 103).  He does does not tire. He does not sleep (Ps. 121). 
         He executes justice for the oppressed and  gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, he lifts up those who are bowed down, the LORD loves those
who live justly. The LORD watches over the immigrant and sustains the fatherless and the widow,but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.  (Ps 146:7-9)
God is not obvlious to the hurt, injustices, poverty, disease, and pain in this world.  He is not unaware.
 I'm thankful that this is the kind of God I serve.His Kingdom Come.

Here are the lyrics to the song.  Hope they encourage you as they did me.

And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.