Friday, August 12, 2011

Monsoon Baby!



Monsoon has arrived.  Actually it's been here since mid-July and will stick around through the beginning of September.  It rains at least 4 days a week during monsoon.  Sometimes it just rains in the early morning, and then clears off later in the day, but there are also those days where there is a steady downpour all day.  Everything here goes into a standstill on the long rainy days.  People don't like to get out in the rain if they can help it.  The other day I went to visit some friends in a village, and they all told me they didn't think I would actually come because of the rain.  I will admit that the rain does make some things more difficult.  For example, we walk a lot of places here and that is a little problematic in a steady downpour.  Also, the rain makes me want to just stay in bed and sleep or curl up with a good book.  Both of these options are detrimental to my current language learning schedule.  But all in all, I would have to say that I like monsoon season.  It is always super humid before the rain comes, but after it is finished the weather is so much cooler - for at least a couple of hours anyway! Today my roommate and I just stood on the front porch and watched the rain.  As you can tell from the pictures, our yard turns into a lake every time it rains.  It was nice to just stand there in silence and listen to the rain.  It also made me a little homesick as I always like to sit on our front porch at home and watch the storms roll in.  Father, thank you for your creation.  Thank you for how you provide for the earth.  Thank you for how each clap of thunder and every drop of rain testifies to your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.